Our Green Ethics
La Mare Wine Estate is a Business Leader in Jersey’s Eco Active scheme as well as a Gold member of the National Green Tourism Scheme, championing the needs of the environment, local residents, businesses and visitors both now and in the future.
La Mare is a Green Tourism Gold standard attraction, awarded for sustainable tourism through the undertaking and adherence of 20 specific actions. Grading is against a rigorous set of criteria, covering a range of areas, like energy and water efficiency, waste management, biodiversity and more.
La Mare invests in Les Amis recycling team’s initiative
La Mare Wine Estate has teamed up with Les Amis, the local charity helping businesses become even more sustainable.
La Mare is investing in the charity’s recycling scheme, paying the Les Amis team to collect all the business’ cardboard and aluminium cans each week.
Environmental Charter - The 20 Actions
INFORMATION & HEIGHTENED AWARENESS
1. Making our visitors more keenly aware of the environment
2. Creation of a plan to control energy consumption
3. Reinforcing our policy of environmental-friendly energy production
4. Implementation of a plan to control water consumption
5. Collection of Cooking Oils to run ‘Germbusters’ trucks
6. Collection of fat from foodstuffs
7. Recycling of Grey Water
8. Recycling of cardboard
9. Recycling of glass
10. Usage of re-chargeable batteries to reduce waste
11. Recycling of electric and electronic equipment
12. Recycling of ink cartridges
13. Processing of light bulbs
14. We are taking steps to reduce our Carbon footprint and in the future we are looking to be Carbon positive
15. Favouring clean vehicles which run on new energies
16. Reduction of the use of insecticides, herbicides and fungicides in the maintenance of the Vineyard and Orchards
17. Integrated Vineyard and Orchard Management Plan
18. Use of recycled office furniture when possible
19. Favouring “Eco-Label” Products
20. Annual inspection of electrical equipment